The David Family

January 1982 saw me still serving in the first area of my mission, in Hermosa, Bataan.  I had approached my Branch President Toribio Santos for some referrals so I could teach some of his many friends. On the top of the list of his friends was Delfin David.  I declined to teach his friend because he lived out of town in the countryside.  In the early days of the Church in Bataan we were encouraged to teach primarily within the cities and towns, near the Church building because of the cost and difficulty of travel.  A few days later, I received a list of referrals from the Relief Society President, Cecilia Villanueva, and she also listed Delfin as someone I should teach.



A few weeks later I was out of town on an exchange in another area.  When I returned, my companion excitedly told me he had met a man on the street (he did not catch his name) who said we could come and teach him and his wife.  The next day, I was less than pleased when I found that this appointment lived way out in the bukid (the countryside).  It was a several kilometres walk out to the appointment and it was hot, really hot outside, that day.  As we walked out there I got madder and madder at my companion.  When we finally arrived at the house I noted two very large framed pictures (2’ by 3’) on the outside of the house.  One of Santo Nino (The Christ Child) and one of Santo Christo. 

 


I thought, “What has my companion gotten us into? Does this man just want to argue with us?”  


As I stood there with my mouth wide open and wondering, a woman put her head out of the door of the house and asked: “Are you the two ministers?”  


I replied with a sigh, “Yes.”  

She said: “I will go and wake up my husband, he is sleeping.” 


I quickly replied, “No, let him sleep. We can come back another time,” thinking we could come back after I was transferred or something like that.  


She replied, “No he is anxious to see you.”  


I looked at the large pictures and thought, “I bet he is.”  


As we went into the house, I noticed a table full of large religious statues: Santo Nino, Santo Christo, Santo Maria, Santo Pedro, Santo Santiago, and Santo Juan.  


Soon a man emerged from the bedroom, pulling his shirt on and wiping sleep from his eyes.  He wasted no time with pleasantries or idle conversation.  He looked intently at me and said, “My name is Delfin David” (You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard the name).  He continued, “About a year ago my perfect, beautiful, little baby boy died.  He was so wonderful.  I can find no peace in this loss.  Can you help me?”


I opened my Book of Mormon, and taught him that little children are alive in Christ and assured him that he would see his son again.  A short time later, he, his wife and oldest daughter Maridel (8 years old) were baptised.  


The day after the baptism I was transferred to Cabanatuan City.  I never saw the David Family from that day to this.  Back then there was no internet or facebook; only letters, and I hate writing letters.  I lost contact with the family.  Since my return to the Philippines, I have inquired about the family, but had not been able to find or contact them.  

I had however learned that Delfin had served as Branch President in Hermosa after Toribio, and had served as a counsellor to Toribio in the Stake Presidency when they formed a Stake.  (I note that my little Hermosa/Orani Branch of 48 people is now four strong Wards in a large Stake.)  I also learned that Delfin died in 2007.  His three surviving daughters, Maridel, Mahay and Lorie served missions; two of them in Cagayan De Oro under my friend and trainer Federico Costales.  



Recently, I spoke with one of my newly arrived missionaries from Hermosa, Bataan, Elder Escalona,
  who knew the David family.  He was able to get me in touch with Maridel, who lives in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.  She told me her family has been looking for me since they arrived in Canada.  She also told me that her mother lives with Mhay and her family in Calgary, Canada.  Imagine that!  We live in the same city and did not know it!  I anticipate a happy reunion when I return to Calgary after this mission.  Lorie and Delfin’s youngest child Mark, live with their families in the Hermosa area. 


My joy is full in finding the family of my dear friend Delfin.  I could not be happier.  God is so kind to me.  The sweet memories of my first mission do not have to just live within the halls of memory.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alone

To Kiribati with love

Tearful Farewells and Happy Hellos