Binyag

Binyag is the Tagalog word for baptism.  I remember very well my own baptism over 50 years ago now.  I remember the warm water, the white clothes and I remembering realizing just how tall my uncle Charlie was (6’8”).  My kindly Uncle Charlie baptized me.  I remember the quizzical look on my mother’s face as my black and red swim suit showed through my wet white clothes (I had been swimming earlier in the day).  Mostly I remember the feeling of love and acceptance by God.  I knew what I was doing was right.  That feeling has never left me.

We are blessed to be able to be part of many wonderful and memorable baptisms in this assignment.  Each one is special.  For example, a few days ago we participated in the baptism of an 11-year old boy.  The rest of his family was baptised 2 weeks ago.  When the family got ready to come to the church to be baptised they could not find him.  He was very anxious to be baptised, but like most 11 year olds would do, he went out to play and lost track of time.  When it was time to go to the Church he could not be found, so rather than get upset, the family just went and were baptised without him.  They were not worried about it at all.  He could just be baptised later.  A Canadian mother would lose her mind over a thing like that but to an easy going Filipina it is not worth getting upset about.

We want to tell you about 2 very special recent baptisms.  I will tell you of the baptism of Ira and Jack last Wednesday and Sister Craig will tell you of the baptism we attended last Saturday morning (Friday night in Calgary) of our wonderful grandson Micah.  

Ira met two of our missionaries well over a year ago.  Two American Sisters; Sister Powell and Sister Brode met her at a store and introduced themselves and asked it they could teach her.  Ira was kind and agreed to meet with them.  They met a few times but Ira was not really interested; just polite.  The Sisters dropped teaching her but left her with a copy of the Book of Mormon.  Our Sisters returned to America and the Philippines locked down because of COVID-19.  Ira was locked down in her home and suddenly had a lot of time on her hands.  She had time to think about the big questions of life; questions of the soul.  One day she picked up the Book of Mormon.  Her intrigue turned into interest and soon turned into faith.  She grew to love the book and now believes it is God’s word.  She did not know, however, how to find the two American missionaries.  Meanwhile Sister Camral and three Filipina companions were under lockdown nearby.  They could not go outside at all except to buy food and medicine.  The only communication they had with the outside world was an analog keypad phone.  


They had never met Sister Ira.  One day, Sister Camral was scrolling through the call history of the phone.  She was randomly calling numbers she did not recognise, to ask if they would be interested in being taught.   She dialed Ira’s number.  Ira was thrilled to finally reconnect with the missionaries.  Through the rest of the lockdown the Sisters taught Ira over the analog phone.  No video, only voice.  They soon became good friends who had never met in person.  Ira’s husband  Jack was becoming more and more concerned that Ira was learning about this Church that was not the traditional family Church.  One day Jack put his foot down.  He told Ira it was either him or this new Church--she had to choose! She suggested to him to not make that demand because she believed the Church was God’s Church and she would choose it if pushed.  Shocked, Jack decided he had better learn more.  This week, both of them were finally ready to be baptised.  They were to be baptised this January 23, but Tuguegarao was going back under a total lockdown again so they quickly and joyfully moved their baptisms forward to January 19.  Joining in on the baptism by video call was Sister Camral and her companions who helped teach them during lockdown (they have all now finished their missions and gone home); Sisters Santiago, Caratao, and Serrano.  Has COVID-19 stopped this great work?  NO!  Nothing can stop this work.   It will roll on and on, sometimes in interesting ways if necessary.

I too, remember my baptism day with fondness.  I was baptised with my parents and sister, 46 years ago.  I remember how excited we were to be baptised.  The missionaries taught our family the gospel, and I will forever be grateful to them for serving a mission and teaching us.  I will also forever be grateful to my parents for making the decision to be baptised.  My life changed that day in such a good way.  This felt so right, and I knew living the gospel was the way to happiness.  I learned my Father in Heaven loved me and was aware of me, an ordinary farm girl in rural Alberta.

On Saturday, January 23, we were blessed to participate in our grandson Micah's baptism over Zoom. 


Matt and Maranda were kind enough to schedule the baptism on Friday evening in Calgary so that we would be able to watch.  Micah is a fine young man (who has grown significantly taller in the last year and a half) and was so excited to be baptised.  He told me a week or so ago about visiting with the Bishop and preparing for his baptism.  Because of COVID restrictions in Calgary, the only people present at the church were Matt and Maranda's immediate family, their Bishop, and their Ward Mission Leader.  It was an emotional experience to see all the faces on the screen, grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins, Primary leaders, all supporting Micah on his special day.  I realised once again how grateful I am for the technology that allows us to participate in these special events even though we are far away.  



The service was simple.  Matt and Maranda gave the talks and Maranda played the piano.  Matt reminded Micah of the book they had just finished reading together, "The Hobbit", and compared Bilbo's quest and journey to the journey Micah is on in his life.  He has now entered the gate to a great quest.  Maranda gave Micah a bracelet that says, "Be Still" and she told him that he needed to be still in order to learn to hear the voice of the Holy Ghost.  I count it a great blessing and it brings so much joy to see our children and grandchildren progress and walk "after the manner of happiness." (2 Ne. 5:27).  President Joseph F. Smith prayed, "O God help me not lose my own".  Every parent's wish is that their children make good decisions so as to live happy lives.  We pray each day that God will bless our family while we are away and help them keep sacred the promises they made to their Father in Heaven on the day they were baptised.


Comments

  1. Tears of Happiness reading your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Matthew has been home for nearly a year from the Philippines and your wonderful guidance, I still love to read your blog and get the spiritual uplift it brings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alone

To Kiribati with love

Tearful Farewells and Happy Hellos