ALIVE!

It has been a long few weeks since I updated the blog.  I wasn't going to talk about this, but I keep thinking that I should.  For it wouldn't be a real picture of our mission if I made it lopsided and only told the good parts. 


At the end of September I got sick.  Cold symptoms, nothing really out of the ordinary.  I had been experiencing a bit a congestion for weeks.  I got better for a few days, even went on the Banuae trip, but then it came back even worse, and I was out of commission for another week.  I was basically making the appearances I needed to, but sleeping most of the time.  I didn't realize how homesick I was until our friends, Cayetano and Thelma Infante arrived to serve with us for the next 6 months.  I cried as their car arrived in the driveway on October 8, and drug myself over to the office to greet them.  It is so good to have them here.

I started to get better, but then it came back again, worse this time, and then I lost the hearing in one ear and had a horrible earache.  I finally broke down and realized I would need to make a trip to the doctor, something I had hoped I wouldn't need to do.  There is an ENT down the street from the Mission Home, so I headed down there.

Most doctors don't take appointments here.  People just show up, and it is fist come, first served, so I was prepared to wait.  Luckily for me, the receptionist told me that it would be an hour and a half, so they took my number, and she said they would call when it was my turn and I could come back.  That was great, because I don't think I could have sat there that long.  When I saw the doctor, he checked my ears, cleaned out the wax, and then told me that I didn't have an infection, but there was a lot of pressure on my ear drum from fluid in my Eustachian tube, and that it would take time, but it would get better.  He felt that it is caused by allergies due to the change in climate, and sent me home with antihistamines, decongestants, sprays and allergy meds.  He also told me I wasn't allowed to blow my nose, for any reason!

Three days later, I saw no improvement, and the pain was horrible, so I went back.  He told me that it was ok, I just needed to take Advil for the pain and keep on taking the medicines.  He said if my eardrum burst the pain would be gone, but then I would have a whole new set of problems as it could get infected, so I didn't want that to happen.  I was taking the maximum of Advil you can take in a day.  Still so sick, but at least the pain was gone for the 4 hours after I took it.  The Area Medical Advisor prescribed me a course of antibiotics to take as well.  Within 24 hours, the pain dissipated. 

Two weeks later, I have finished the medicine, and I am feeling much better.  I feel like I will live.  I am able to go about my days and do what I need to do, although I still don't have my hearing back.  It is starting to improve, little by little, but there is a ways to go yet.

Why have I felt I needed to talk about this?

Because there are lessons I have learned over the last month that have changed me and the way I think about things.

1.  Bad things happen; even when we are about doing good.  But that doesn't mean we aren't loved and known by our Father in Heaven.  They are really opportunities to grow and be refined.


2.  Be patient.  They say time heals all wounds.  It also heals sickness.  It is taking time, but I am gradually getting better.



3.  Complaining doesn't help.  It also doesn't help to be cranky.



4.  There are benefits to being deaf in one ear.  When you go to sleep with that ear up, you don't hear telephones, roosters, horns or barking dogs at night!



5.  A lot is changed when we choose to change our attitude.  It does no good to feel sorry for yourself.  Look to see the positive, and even the worst days are better.



6.  There is power in prayer and Priesthood blessings.



7.  The scriptures are filled with stories of people that have had struggles, and there are so many examples of how they had faith in the Lord and were blessed and strengthened.



8.  I am grateful to have this opportunity to serve here in the Philippines.  Along with the difficulties, there are so many good experiences and good people.  I am learning to look for the good and to choose to be happy, in spite of circumstances.  President Nelson said, "...the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives... Joy is powerful, and focusing on joy brings God's power into our lives."  I find great joy in being with the young missionaries we serve with.  It is the greatest part of being here.  We love them and are inspired by them and their dedication to their callings to share the gospel of Jesus Christ to all who have been prepared to hear their message.


Love you all!

Comments

  1. So Well said Donna. True on every point. It’s also okay to rest and let others help you when you need it the most. I’m glad you’re feeling better. You are truly the Angel Among Us. I miss you dearly but I know the good people in the Philippines need you too. I love you and Kipp dearly. Take it easy and builds your strength. Thinking of you all the time. I’m in St George and just at Temple which is closing soon. Temple is sooo packed. Faithful members keeping it going non stop. Love to you both. We have a new grandson. Shawn and Bonnie had him on October 28th. Life is Good. 🥰🥰🥰🥰💋

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alone

To Kiribati with love

Tearful Farewells and Happy Hellos